I have been feeling a bit under the weather the past few days. My mom thinks it has to do with my non-stop schedule…hmmm Anyways, I took 2 days off work to “relax” and it was really difficult!! It harder than it sounds..at least for me.. when I have a 100 things I want/need to do.
I managed to snuggle up with Freddy and my Kindle to finish reading Me before you! We’re having a book club meeting next Wednesday so I better catch up quick.
Back to the topic… SOUP!! We had 3 days of soup: chicken noodle, tomato basil and, yesterday I made Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup…with parsnips for added flavor.
I made a separate batch for Freddy w/o the onions or added spices – he got parsley though- really good for dogs! (nerd fact: Parsley freshens your pooches breath and provides phytochemicals. It also has Vitamin C, Vitamin K, carotenoids, B vitamins, iron and limonene)
Here is the recipe. Serve with some crusty bread- I made Guy Fieri’s Vegan garlic bread to go with.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 parsnips, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Crumbled organic bacon, bake it
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 minutes. Add cauliflower (& parsnips, if using) and cook until just beginning to brown, 12 minutes. Add water and bouillon cube; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, 20 minutes. Add rosemary.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream with flour and take with a tbsp. of the hot broth. Wish really well and then blend into soup. This will add a nice cream color to the soup and also thicken it up.
- I use a potato masher to mash everything up right in the same pot - you can also use a blender to get a smoother consistency- but why add another dish to the wash?
- Heat over medium until warmed through; add cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley and bacon, if desired. (I made a couple strips of bacon in the oven with the bread and crumbled it on top)