We carved pumpkins over the weekend at my parents house and I figured I would make some type of easy dessert that involved apples for everyone. These apples were so simple to make and delicious topped with some vanilla ice-cream. The pecans and brown sugar caramelized nicely with the apple in the oven. Perfect for a cold night in.
Next time: I would make these with organic coconut sugar (my parents didn’t have any) and also really stuff the pecans inside so they don’t burn.
- 4 large organic baking apples, such as Honeycrisp
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and core apples, leaving enough of the core at the base of the apple to contain the filling.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans in a small bowl. Roll log shapes of the mixture and press enough into each apple to fill the core.
- Fill a 2-quart baking dish with about 3/4 cup water, or enough to cover the bottom. Place the apples upright in the dish. Bake until the apples are soft and the filling is browned, 1 hour.
- I made 6 apples, so adjust ingredients accordingly.