It’s Super Bowl weekend and I’m proud to say The New England Patriots are in it again 🙂 I remember when Tom Brady first emerged as the QB when Bledsoe was injured during the 2001 season and all the ladies were awwing at that butt chin! It was a crazy game because Bledsoe was replaced by Brady even when he was cleared to play (poor Drew!) I remember my brother, who was 5 years old at the time (ah baby bro!) and I made “Brady dogs” and “Bledsoe burgers”. It was from that moment that I loved the idea of Super Bowl themed food for the big game — when the Patriots are playing, that is! 😉
So, this weekend, I’ll be whipping up some fun Patriots vs. Falcons themed recipes. I don’t know what exactly, but it has to feel football-like. I’m talking greasy, deep-fried, pub food without the grease or the deep fry! #weddingdiethello
Here are 12 healthy ideas to get you planning:
1. Sweet Potato Skins: Skip the regular potatoes and add some extra health benefits with these Sweet Potato Skins via Pinch of Yum. Simply amazing.
2. Baked Parmesan Zucchini: Every time we go out to one of my favorite restaurants, I order the Zucchini sticks. Although zucchini is healthy for you, they are deep-fried and I always feel a little guilty. This recipe, (via Damn Delicious) however, is amazingly crispy and healthy! Indulge away!
3. Greek Tortilla Pinwheels – another great appetizer idea! So simple, all you need is Greek salad, feta, yogurt and tortillas.
4. Cauliflower Breadsticks – I have been making quite a few dishes lately with riced cauliflower, so I was excited to find this recipe via iFOODreal of which the bread is made entirely from cauliflower. You will totally forget you’re eating something healthy once you dip these into marinara. SO good!
5. Buffalo Pickle Chips – Baked and still super crispy and flavorful. You will feel like you’re eating savory chips and not veggies 😉 recipe/pic via Whitney Bond
6. Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings – super flavorful, so savory with a bit of spice. Make the roasted red pepper dipping sauce, the added flavor is to die for! recipe/pic via Damn Delicious
7. Skinny Mozzarella Sticks – ditch the fried food, these are baked which automatically makes them that much better for you!
8. Spinach & Artichoke Dip: A healthier version skillet dip. You got to have dip for the Super Bowl! I always make this Vegan Spinach & artichoke dip (link here) because it is SO good. I am not even kidding you. #drool Recipe/pic via Life Tastes Good
9. Fully Loaded Nachos: self-explanatory — yummm
10. Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Casserole – great if you’re expecting more company. If not, then hey you get extras for yourself. win-win! Recipe/pic courtesy of Ruled.me
11. Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites – When I think of football, I think of buffalo sauce, anyone else? These cauliflower bites via Life Tastes Good are AMAZE.
12. Puffy Tacos – We had some people over the other night for Tacos and Tickets (to help some of our wedding guests book their flights) and I made a Taco Bar. I’ll post about that soon, but its super easy if you’re having a bunch of people over for the game. Otherwise, these puffy tacos via Plain Chicken are only 5 ingredients and a super convenient way to enjoy tacos on game day.
I’d love to hear about any game day traditions you may have! Is anyone going to Houston for the game?